The Blue Grotto, once known as "the Cave of Gradola", from the nearby ancient port Gradola, owes its romantic name given by two German tourists who visited it in 1826: Augustus Kopisch and Ernesto Fries. Blue because after the ancient sea level rise, the cave gets most of the sunlight through an entrance submerged and this light is reflected on the walls and create a fantastic blue reflexes and produces a magical atmosphere. Studies show that the cave was already known in Roman times if not earlier.
How to get there
From the port of Capri (Marina Grande):By Speedboat up the outside of the cavity, then change to rowboat.
From the town of Anacapri:Bus Staiano, terminal Viale De Tommaso (15 min.);
Taxi from Victoria Square (10 min.);
On foot, reach Via Pagliaro and continue on Via Tuoro (50 min.) Almost 5km. Then boarding on a rowboat.
From 9.00 to 17.00
Inside the cave is a non-bathing.
In the case of rough seas, because small entry, the cave is closed.